Oven setting: 170 degrees C / 325 degrees F
Gas mark 3
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 90g (3oz) butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150g (5oz) golden syrup
- 250g (8oz) chunky marmalade
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- a pinch of salt
- Grease a 20cm (8 inch) square cake tin. Line it with greaseproof paper.
- Put the butter or margarine in a saucepan with the syrup. Then melt over a low heat.
- Sift the flour, ginger, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Make a hollow in the centre.
- Slowly pour the syrup mixture into the hollow, stirring in the flour from the sides as you do so.
- Add the marmalade, egg and water and mix everyting together.
- The mixture should be soft and drop off a spoon easily. If it is stiff, add more water.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and spreadit out evenly with a knife.
- Bake the cake on the centre shelf of the oven for an hour.
- The cake is done when it is golden brown and the centre feels springy to the touch.
- If you push a skewer or small knife into the centre of the cake it should come out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turn it out onto a wire cooling rack.
Design and Presentation
* * * *