Cider Crumble Cake.
- 450g (1lb) self raising flour
- 50g (2oz) chopped dates
- 175g (6oz) soft margarine or butter
- 175g (6oz) light soft brown sugar
- 175g (6oz) black treacle
- 1/2 pint cider
- 1 egg
For the topping
- 1 oz walnuts
- 1 oz flour
- 1 and 1/2 oz butter
- 1 and 1/2 oz caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons apricot or plum jam
Oven 160 degrees C or 325 degrees F, gas mark 3
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the dates if required.
- Put the margarine, sugar and treacle into a saucepan and heat gently only until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Add the melted mixture to the flour in the bowl and beat well.
- Pour the cider into the saucepan, add the dates and stir well to absorb any ingredients left in the pan. DO NOT HEAT THE CIDER.
- Add the cider and dates and egg to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Line the bottom of a 10" cake tin and then grease and flour the bottom and the sides.
- Place the mixture in the tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes.
- For the topping prepare the crumble mixture.
- Chop the nuts.
- Put the flour into a bowl, cut the butter into pieces and add to the flour, rub or cut it in quickly and lightly, don't allow the mixture to become sticky or over rub the mixture.
- Add the sugar, nuts and cinnamon.
- Remove the cake from the oven after 40 minutes, spread the top with the jam and top with the crumble mixture.
- Return the cake to the oven for a furhter 15-20 minutes.
Design and Presentation
* * * *