Becky's Food Page 32 Cherry Scones.
September 24th 2008
- Approximately 125ml (4fl oz) milk
- 1 medium egg
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 100g (3 1/2oz) glacÚ cherries
- 5-6cm (2-2 1/4in) fluted round cutter
- Baking sheet, buttered
- Add milk to egg to make 150ml (1/4pint).
- Reserve about 1-2 tbsp mixture for the glaze.
- Tip all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and mix in bursts until the ingredients bind together, taking care not to over-mix it or the cherries will be too finely chopped.
- Alternatively, tip the flour and baking powder into a bowl, and rub in the butter.
- Roughly chop the cherries and add them with the other ingredients, mixing with a round-bladed knife until a dough is formed.
- Roll dough out on a lightly-floured surface to about 2cm (3/4in) thick and use cutter to stamp out scones.
- Re-roll trimmings and cut out more scones until dough is used up.
- Place them on the baking sheet.
- Brush the glaze over the top of the scones, then bake them in the centre of the oven at Gas 7/220░C/230░F for about 15-18 mins, or until they have risen and are a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold with butter.
Design and Presentation
* * * *