Becky's Food Page 42 Simnel Cake.
April 1st 2009
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 122g (4oz) margarine
- 85g (3oz) soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250g (8oz) mixed dried fruit
- 250g (8oz) Marzipan
- 35g (1oz) glace cherries
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 tablespoon apricot jam
- 6 inch cake tin
- Line the cake tin with greaseproof paper
- Put the oven on at gas mark 3 (325°F 170°C) to get hot
- Mix the margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon until they are light and fluddy.
- Break the eggs into a dish and mix them up with a fork.
- Add the egg and some flour a bit at a time to the mixing bowl and beat it. Do this until all the egg has been added.
- Add the spice, baking powder and the rest of the flour, stir gently.
- Add the fruit, cherries and the milk and stir well to mix it all.
- Divide the marzipan in 2 with 1 piece slighly bigger than the other. Wrap the bigger one in cling film to save for the top.
- Roll the other marzipan into the same shape and size as the tin.
- Put half the cake mix into the tin.
- Put the circle of marzipan onto the mix.
- Put the rest of the mix into the tin and smooth the top.
- Carefully put the cake into the oven on the middle shelf and cook for 2 hours.
- Use oven gloves to take the cake out of the oven and eave over night to go cold.
- Roll out 3/4 of the remaining marzipan into a circle for the top of the cake.
- Brush the top of the cake with jam and place the marzipan on top.
- Roll the rest of the marzipan into small balls (traditionally 11 balls to represent the apostles at the last supper with Jesus) and put them around the edge of the cake.
- Using a pastry brush paint the marzipan with the egg white and put under the grill to brown.
- Put a ribbon around the side and decorate the top with small chocolate eggs.
Design and Presentation
* * * *