Becky's Food Page 43 Cheese and Tomato Tart.
April 23rd 2009
Cheese and Tomato Tart
Enough for 4-6
- 375g (13oz) packet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium courgette
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- half a teaspoon of dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper
- 225g (8oz) cherry tomatoes
- 225g (8oz) mozzarella cheese
- Turn on your oven to 220c, 425F, Gas mark7. Unroll the pastry. Put it on a baking sheet. Trim one end off. If you need to.
- Put the milk into a cup.
Use a pastry brush to brush the milk around the edge of the pastry, to make a 1cm (1/2in) border.
- Cut the ends off the onion and peel it. Cut it finely. Cut the ends off the courgette and cut it into 1cm(1/2in) slices.
- Heat the oil over a lowish heat and add the onion, Cook it for five minutes. Add the courgette and cook for five minutes more.
- Stir in the oregano and add some salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture over the pastry, but do not cover the milky border.
- Use a separated knife to cut the tomatoes on top of the mixture, with then cut side upwards.
- Open the bag of cheese and pour away any liquid. Cut the cheese into 1 cm (1/2in) cubes. Scatter them evenly over the tomatoes.
- Put the tart on the middle shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the pastry rises around the edges and turns brown.
- Leave the tart on the baking sheet for three minutes. Cut the tart into eight pieces. Use a fish slice to lift each piece.
Design and Presentation
* * * *