Becky's Food Page 44 Cracked wheat risotto.
April 29th 2009
Cracked wheat risotto
Enough for 4
- 4 Spring onions
- 100g (4oz) button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 50g (2oz) flaked almonds
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 225g (8oz) cracked wheat
- 8 ready-to-eat dried apricots
- 4 springs of fresh parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the spring onions. Cut the onions diagonally into pieces, about 2.5cm (1in) long.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a paper towel to clean them. Then, slice each mushroom thinly. Put a kettle on to boil.
- Put about half a tablespoon of oil into a saucepan, over a medium heat. Cook the almonds until they are golden.
- Put a paper towel onto a plate. Use a slotted spoon to lift the almonds onto it. Then, heat the remaining oil in the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and spring onions to the pan..Cook them gently for five minutes, until they are soft. Stir them often.
- Meanwhile, crumble the stock cube into a measuring jug. Pour in 600ml (1pint) of boiling water and stir.
- Add the cracked wheat to the pan and stir it for a minute. Pour in the stock then turn the heat up so that the mixture boils.
- It has boiled, turn the heat down and put a lid on the pan. Let the mixture bubble gently for about ten minutes.
- Use kitchen scissors to snip the apricots into small pieces. Add the pieces to the bubbling mixture, along with some salt and pepper.
- Take the lid off the pan. Let the mixture cook for five minutes more or until all the stock has been absorbed.
- While the mixture is cooking break the stalks off the parsley. Put the leaves into a mug and snip them into small pieces.
- Stir the parsley and half of the flaked almonds into the mixture. Sprinkle the rest of the almonds on top and serve immediately.
Design and Presentation
* * * *