Becky's Food Page 45 Turkey in spiced yogurt.
May 13th 2009
Turkey in spiced yogurt
- About 1.1kg (2 ½ lb) turkey leg meat on the bone
- 7.5ml (1 ½ level tsp) ground cumin
- 7.5ml (1 ½ tsp) ground coriander
- 2.5ml (½ level tsp) ground turmeric
- 2.5ml (½ level tsp) ground ginger
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 300g (10 fl oz) natural yogurt
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 225g (8oz) onion, skinned an sliced
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 45ml (3 level tbsp) desiccated coconut
- 30ml (2 level tbsp) flour
- 150ml (¼ pint) chicken stock or water
- Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Cut the turkey meat off the bone into large fork-sized pieces. Discarding the skin: there should be about 900g (2lb) meat.
- In a large bowl, mix the spices with the seasoning, yogurt and lemon juice. Stir well until evenly blended.
- Fold thoroughly the turkey meat until coated with the yogurt mixture. Cover tightly with cling film and refrigerate for several hours.
- Lightly brown the onion in the hot oil in a medium flame proof casserole. Add the coconut and flour and fry gently. Stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the turkey with its marinade and the stock. Return to the heat and bring slowly to the boil, stirring all the time. Cover tightly and cook in the oven at 170c (325F) mark 3 for 1-1¼ hours until the turkey is tender.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve garnished with parsley
Design and Presentation
* * * *