Becky's Food Page 9b Shortbread.
May 16 2007
Shortbread (makes 8 pieces)
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
Light the oven 150 deg C, 302 deg F, gas mark 2. Grease the inside of the tin (you can use butter on a piece of kitchen paper)
- Put the flour into the mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add them to the flour.
- Rub the pieces of butter between your finger tips. Lift the mixture and let it fall back into the bowl as you rub.
- Carry on rubbing in the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar.
- Hold the bowl with one hand and squeeze the mixture into a ball. the heat from your hand makes the mixture stick together.
- Press the mixture into the tin with your fingers, then use the back of a spoon to smooth the top and make it level.
Use the prongs of a fork to press a pattern around the edge. Then cut the mixture into 8 equal pieces.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Carefully take it out of the oven. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before taking it out of the tin.
Design and Presentation
* * * *